This is my first blog post for Remote Leaf. Finally I've got some time to write a Year in Review post. 2020 was my first year running Remote Leaf as a side project and it’s was a great experience.
Remote Leaf collects remote jobs from 40+ sources and send the ones that apply to you based on your location and skill preferences. I launched Remote Leaf nearly one and half year ago. But it’s been three years since I first started building products and dreaming about this moment. I’ve been doing my full-time job now and Remote Leaf is side project.
It’s always mind-blowing to look back at just 12 months. 2020 is my most life-changing year. I made a business which makes money 💸 I wanted to write something nice (and complete) to close out the year - a true recap of my first year doing indie startups!
2020 goals recap
- Build Remote Leaf as a side business
This is a great success ✅. I’m very happy with the outcome. I’m able to build a successful side business which makes money. This was my dream come true moment. It had good timing (peak remote work due to COVID) and a bit of luck.
- Learn Django and release the MVP(0.1) version of Remote Leaf ✅
I had a basic experience with python before, so it was easy for me to catch up with Django and build the application in a few months.
- Build a solid SEO content for Remote Leaf 🛑
I completely neglected SEO & content, which affected my traffic long-term.
- Grew Remote Leaf revenue to $10k/m. 🛑
This is miss. I know I aimed too much :). I picked a high-churn niche that’s too small to grow the income. I had to spend a lot of time/energy acquiring new customers.
- Paying subscribers: 127 current
- Total visitors: 112k visitors
- Total page views: 150k
- Gross Volume: $18,950
- Total number of jobs curated: 24,458
Looking ahead to 2021 - Goals
This year was great. Things I’m looking forward to next year:
- Hit 10k MRR in EOY 2021. Now I feel the $10k/m revenue is realistic considering the current MRR.
- Launch the v2 of Remote Leaf
- Focus on SEO and content, write more about Open Startups.
- Reach out to companies on Newsletter sponsorships and company job ads.
- Exploring new product ideas in the Remote Work space, include more information, talk to users and gather feedback.
- Build a solid testimonials page by talking to customers.
- Spend more time on the Marketing
Always excited for the future.